UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should be the future for UMass football?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be the future direction for UMass football?
Drop football completely
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
Go non-scholarship FCS
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Stay full scholarship FCS (i.e. status quo)
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Stay FCS and try to move to FBS together with similar schools
26%
 26%  [ 21 ]
Stay FCS and hope for a Big East invite
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Upgrade and move to the MAC or CUSA
44%
 44%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 79

Steve81
Senior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty V has a similiar article.
http://www.gazettenet.com/2010/01/01/trio-questions-umass
UMass1863
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year to everyone,

Google Search popped up with an article about the trickle down effect of the conference expansion we can expect.
IF there is concern about our program, and i think there is by the alumni, not by our employees the athletic department, then we might find this article interesting and a warning.

http://www.collegefootballogy.com/?p=13623
Will Contraction Lead To Smart Expansion in the Sun Belt Conference?
Posted by Tobi Writes on December 27th, 2009

Two sentences stand out as it effects us and points to the advantage of moving to a FBS conference and of upgrading our facilities before applying for admission to a FBS conference.

The conference would still have to deal with the spectre of being a conference that expanded with FCS schools because they had to, not because they chose to.
Temple will be attractive since they are already a FBS team. We won't because we aren't a FBS team and are football facilities are substandard.
and
The WAC would have to look at an FCS upgrade, which they don't want to do as it is a major esteem hit.

Our major sports facilities, BB, Hockey, Softball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track are pretty good - our football facility is substandard.

Weather we want to remain in the CAA or upgrade we need to upgrade our stadium. Make your donation to the
Account Name MCGUIRK ALUMNI STADIUM RENOVATION PROJECT

SunGard Account Number 52 03 6382 1 0A
Dept .........AMBU153000
Project..... U1036382000000A

http://www.umass.edu/aco/endowment/Endowment%20chart%20strings%20with%20MBU%20info-7.pdf page 1 of 11
Merlin Samuels
Freshman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to take an intermediate step. we need to get to fbs asap. Otherwise wallowing in the fcs we could miss our chance. I dont think the MAC is the greatest fit, but they had five teams go to bowls, including A10 Temple.

We cant wait for JMU or Delaware to make up their minds, because they would leave us in a heartbeat. So would Georgia St., who would prob like the Sun Belt, or Charlotte would would like CUSA. Hell, I'd like the CUSA at this point. I prefer the A10, but there is no allsports future there, so why not play FBS football in a conference that garners five bowl games (MAC), and also play in the best basketball conference on the east coast outside the Big East and ACC (A10)?
UMass2FBS
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a move to the MAC would be ideal. With the amount of travel we will have to do in the upcoming years it makes more sense to move to FBS where you can make more money back. The MAC would probably love to have a 14th team, even if it is like Temple (football only school). They could move 1 of the 2 Western Ohio schools (Miami or Bowling Green) to the MAC West.

In doing this I think UMass is already a 6-6 team in the MAC and will probably get better with the increased recruiting and scholorships. Because most MAC school's stadiums are only in the low 20,000 range you do not need to make huge renovations to McGuirk Stad. In fact I was told by someone who was on the FBS committee a few years ago that UMass could meet D1 standards without adding a single seat. All they have to do is move the seat numbers on the aluminum benches 2 inches closer to eachother and it would make 2,000 new seats right there. I was told by an assistant AD that the reason the move has not been made in the past was worries about not getting into Bowl games on a regular basis. However, with the increasing number of bowls and the seemingly lower number of bowl eligible teams the MAC regularly has been sending 5 teams to bowls each year.
Wheeler
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why beat a dead horse? I for one am a supporter of the fball teams move to 1A. The only why the BE would consider UMass as a fball memeber is if we are already playing FBS fball. Ucon for a number of reasons got a great offer to upgrade their fball program and took advantage of it, Villanova did not. Mumbles begrudgingly went along with the upgrade even though it might mean his beloved bball program might have to play second fiddle to fball but he went along becacuse he realized that fball would protect the UCon athletic program and only make it stronger.

Some schools like being competitive at the highest level of the FCS level and enjoy competing for championships. University wide the budget for UMass is 2.6 billion dollars and I think the trustees have decided that for many reasons UMass football is worth the cost. Just for talking let say UMass fball loses 2 million, I personally think it is less. I know 2 mil is a lot of money but in the overall scheme of things it really isn't that much 0.07% of the budget.

UMass would have to do very little to upgrade to FBS. To be competitive at the highest levels it would have to spend a fortune. But it doesn't have to spend it this year, substantial and continual improvements could be made on a yearly basis say over ten years. There is no relationship between attendene at the FCS and the FBS levels. Do you really think UMass would have a problem putting 20,000 or more fannies in the seats say for a game with Army or bc, I don't think so. I asked this many times can you name one program that moved up then decided to move back or discontinue the program.

To me the two most important needs for the long term future of UMass are 1) a UMass Law School and 2) UMass moving to the FBS level to start even as an independent. Hopefully, the first issues is resolved in the next month and some time before I die we will see UMass playing in the BE as football member. If you want UMass to compete at the highest level in all sports it will eventually have to belong to a BCS conference to remain competitive. To me it is all about leagues and recruiting and unless you are in top conference it is hard for me to envision UMass winning a NCAA championship in anything but hockey.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler wrote:
Mumbles begrudgingly went along with the upgrade even though it might mean his beloved bball program might have to play second fiddle to fball but he went along becacuse he realized that fball would protect the UCon athletic program and only make it stronger.

Apologies if this article has already been linked here, I forget whether I found it on this board or elsewhere: UConn will go wherever football takes it. Short version: Calhoun is all aboard the football train. He gets it now.

I was thinking the other day, if we'd made the upgrade when we did the FBS studies in 1999 or 2003, there's a very good chance we would have been invited into the Big East when Boston College and the others left. And if that had happened, there's a chance UMass would now be part of these Big Ten rumors. Not as the lead expansion candidate, but there are now rumors that the Big Ten may poach multiple Big East members so that they can become the de facto college sports conference of the Northeast and expand the Big Ten Network into the biggest television market in the country. If they do decide to go to 14-16 members, that's something UMass conceivably could have been a part of. Instead, someday soon we may look back on the refusal to consider FBS without a BCS conference invitation as the difference between UMass being a member of the Big Ten or being a member of America East (after the A10 is gutted).

By the way, it's already too late to do anything in reaction to the Big Ten news. We will not be a candidate to replace any team in the Big East taken by the Big Ten, because even if they wanted us we couldn't upgrade to FBS quickly enough to save them. FBS conferences must have a minimum of 8 football members or they lose FBS status and NCAA revenue sharing rights, and in the case of the Big East they'd almost certainly lose BCS status. So the Big East will need to add a FBS team immediately if they lose a member. The earliest UMass could be counted as a FBS team due to NCAA regulations currently in effect is 2014. The insistence on a Big East invitation to move to FBS was always complete nonsense. They would never invite us during good times, and they can't afford to invite us during bad times.

Best thing we can do for now is to keep working on making this the best gameday experience in New England and get the steadily upward climbing attendance numbers back on track after a dip this year. Maybe the Big Ten decides not to expand, the Big East doesn't split, the A10 isn't gutted and we get a few years' reprieve to un-FUBAR ourselves, stop accepting the role of a passenger on the Titanic and take hold of the controls. Our eyes should be on what we can do to re-position ourselves in 2014.
Wheeler
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that ucon is playing Michigan next year also. Another reason for moving up to FBS is the difference in the payout for playing at FBS teams. I'm pretty sure that the payout to ucon will be higher than the payout to UMass for playing at Michigan next year
sleepy sheep
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that too. Most importantly Michigan acknowledges us as [/u][/b]MASSACHUSETTS Very Happy
north of the border

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wheeler"]Just noticed that ucon is playing Michigan next year also. Another reason for moving up to FBS is the difference in the payout for playing at FBS teams. I'm pretty sure that the payout to ucon will be higher than the payout to UMass for playing at Michigan next

um, WRONG they have a home and home deal next yr at ann arbor. the following yr at the RENT no payout]
Wheeler
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not privy to the contract information but I do know that FBS teams get higher payouts if they play at Michigan or any other venue than FCS teams. Even more of a reason for moving on up who would have thunk 5 years ago that ucon would be playing Michigan and Notre Dame and on top of that Michigan will play ucon in their valley.
Quinn
Senior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can forget any thoughts of CUSA. That shipped sailed when we rejected them in the 90's. They are now a Texas based league and not close to a fit.

Umass has 2 options in FBS:

* Ask the MAC for membership
Unlike Temple for football only, this would likely mean Umass would HAVE to leave the A10 for all-sports. Despite being a lower caliber Big East reject, Temple gave the MAC the Philly market.

* Upgrade as an Indy
ugly scenario with little to gain.

The option fans want is the one we will never see: Big East says "upgrade and you can join us". It's just not a good deal for the Big East.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bottom line
Sophomore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a rumor, but WFAN in New York today reported a "rumor" that there was a possibility of Pittsburgh going to the Big 10.
kdogg8173
Senior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that on Sunday but I'm not buying it. From what I heard, it started on a message board that some Pitt players tweeted about it but no tweets have been actually reported. I didn't really look into it much though.
sleepy sheep
Senior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdogg8173 wrote:
but no tweets have been actually reported.

This week's sign of the apocalypse. Very Happy
UMass1991
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to reopen this topic. colorado to the Pac 10, Boise to the MWC, Nebraska to the Big Ten. The Big East and ACC are going to be picked apart by the SEC and Big 10. Could be the opening we have been looking for, funding be damned!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Football Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: