UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More conference problems on the horizon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Lacrosse Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: More conference problems on the horizon? Reply with quote

Surprised no one else has mentioned this before (looking at you Kosty).

Please file this under Reason #1,422 Why UMass Must Find a Way Into The Big East:

Quote:
In a development that could dramatically alter the landscape of Division I lacrosse, the Big East Conference could feature men's lacrosse as a conference sport as soon as the 2009 season, according to Rutgers men's lacrosse coach Jim Stagnitta.

"It's picked up some real momentum in the last few weeks," Stagnitta said Wednesday. "It's by no means a done deal, but the conversations are much more focused than they've been in the past. Every school has shown a level of interest."

Seven Big East schools currently play Division I lacrosse, but they play in a variety of leagues. Georgetown, Rutgers and St. John's play in the ECAC, Notre Dame plays in the Great Western Lacrosse League, Providence plays in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conferece, Villanova plays in the Colonial Athletic Association and Syracuse plays as an independent.

http://laxmagazine.cstv.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/071807aah.html

Not only would the ECAC be down to 5 teams, it would lose power Georgetown, a strong Rutgers program and up and coming St Johns. Also could affect our yearly series with Cuse if they don't want to commit one non-conference slot each year to the rivalry.

Frankly, this sucks.
MullinsManiac
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would seem to me that with a high-profile lax program so close to many of the other schools plus already-established rivalries with most of them, it would make perfect sense for the Big East to invite UMass into the conference as a lacrosse-only member.
Ewan's Dad
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed at length at laxpower.com
Bottom line is that coaches and programs are all over the map. Some want it. Some don't.

People there point out all the problems, such as the need for Providence and Nova to seriously upgrade their programs (I don't think the give out the max scholarships).

Plus, the Cuse people over there say there is NO WAY the Orange joins a conference, even the Big East. There is just too much for an independent to give up (scheduling for example, plus the fact that a 7-6 Orange indie team makes the tourney, a 7-6 Cuse team in the Big East doesn't).

Granted, it makes sense. If it does happen, Cuse could stay indie. It will be interesting to see what happens. Let's just hope UMass has a plan if it does happen and we don't end up in the MAAC or America LEast. The CAA could be an option, joining Hofstra and Delaware.
UMass1863
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conference identity has a lot to do with how a high school student selects a college. If the BE establishes Lacrosse as a conference sport and recruits accordingly it would give their players significantly more exposure and probably an occasional TV game. I think it would adversely affect our recruiting.

How do you think this will affect our recruiting?
Would the BE have any interest in accepting us as an associate member?
Kosty
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine Syracuse would be too happy about being forced in to a league like that.
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Syracuse has changed their tune:

Quote:
The pending creation of the league has been talked about for months now, and many of the nation's Division I coaches believe it is a done deal. Syracuse University athletic director Daryl Gross, who confirmed that the topic will be on the agenda May 19-21 in Ponte Vedra, believes those feelings are a tad premature.

There is no question Gross is on board with the concept, a decision he arrived at after talks with head coach John Desko.

"I defer to John. You know, what does he think is best for the program," Gross said. "John thinks the Big East is the right thing."

Of course they insist on having the conference tourney in the dome every year.

http://www.syracuse.com/articles/orangelacrosse/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/120928667936551.xml&coll=1

This guy has an interesting take on the whole thing including a prospective scenario that has us and some other lax orphans joining the CAA:

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/d1scourse/2008/05/a_crack_in_the_edge_of_the_lac.html
Kosty
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocks22 wrote:
This guy has an interesting take on the whole thing including a prospective scenario that has us and some other lax orphans joining the CAA:

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/d1scourse/2008/05/a_crack_in_the_edge_of_the_lac.html

Not for nothing, but that potential CAA league would be STACKED.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this indicates confidence that the Big East isn't going to break apart in the next 2-3 years. Neither the BE football members nor the non-football members have enough lacrosse teams to qualify for an autobid.
npt3
Senior

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosty wrote:
Rocks22 wrote:

Not for nothing, but that potential CAA league would be STACKED.

You ain't kidding, K. In that scenario, we'd finally be rid of St. John's, Penn State, Fairfield, and those Loyola jagoffs. I'd miss Rutgers and Georgetown, though - good programs - and the Syracuse grudge match.

And, Syracuse wanting the Big Least finals every year? Typical of them...
MullinsManiac
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npt3 wrote:

And, Syracuse wanting the Big Least finals every year? Typical of them...

Can you blame them? They've got the conference by the balls here. If Cuse doesn't join, this whole thing crashes and burns.
npt3
Senior

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you're right - w/o Syracuse, it would otherwise be the Hoyas, the Irish, and the other dwarfs. That would be a step down for Georgetown. I'd like to see us in that hypothetical CAA, though...
BishopMVP
Senior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackman wrote:
I wonder if this indicates confidence that the Big East isn't going to break apart in the next 2-3 years. Neither the BE football members nor the non-football members have enough lacrosse teams to qualify for an autobid.
And the latest rumors have Notre Dame, Syracuse and possibly Rutgers joining Big Ten if it expands to 16.

Rumors have changed 50 times in the past 2 weeks, but it appears the big domino is whether Texas goes to the Pac-10 and brings 5 Big 12 members with them. If that happens and the Big 10 decides they need to go all the way to 16 before the SEC or ACC tries to steal a couple teams, then ND sees the trend to 4 16-team super conferences and a possible break away from the NCAA - which is the only way they'll join the Big 10.

Basically in that case, Georgetown lacrosse could get screwed. I wouldn't mind them and maybe Villanova into the CAA, but don't really want Providence or St. Johns.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Big Ten lax you'd have SU, Rutgers, ND, Ohio State and Penn State? Yawn. So SU would win the auto bid every year and they'd be good friends with Juan.
BishopMVP
Senior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosty wrote:
So Big Ten lax you'd have SU, Rutgers, ND, Ohio State and Penn State? Yawn. So SU would win the auto bid every year and they'd be good friends with Juan.
5 teams isn't enough for an auto-bid. And Rutgers is far from certain to get an invite - I think Pitt makes more sense unless you think adding Rutgers can get the B10 network on basic cable packages in NYC. (For that matter, Cuse is too - it could be Rutgers and Pitt from the BE). I think Nebraska is the other domino right now - Missouri is practically begging for an official B10 invitation, but the B10 only wants them if its part of a plan to go to 16 with 2 of Notre Dame, Texas and Nebraska (the 2.5 teams with national fanbases). Tom Osbourne hates the Texas AD and his puppet, the B12 commissioner, but whether Nebraska will make the jump is up in the air.

This whole thing will probably have as quick a timeline as the USC sanctions report, but it is very annoying to see all these discussions and no mention of UMass anywhere. (And I know we focus on the sports ramifications, but these conferences are actually very important for research funding purposes, particularly the Big 10 and Pac 10.)
econalum
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is annoying, but ALSO reality. UMASS is NOT a Player in this realignment. Given its post 1976 history in conference selection - why are you annoyed/surprised? 34 Years tell a tale of being out maneuvered, and 2 steps behind, largely due to an apathetic alum, and student, base.

We should never pretend that the energy of this message board has ANYTHING, to do with the average UMASS affiliate - student, alum or fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Lacrosse Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: