UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 coaching staff
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadesOf96and98
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: 2012 coaching staff Reply with quote

Figured I would start a specific thread for this. From the Clan Molnar thread...

DEM wrote:
Matt Vautour reports on the new coaching staff and recruiting.

Elmassian is obviously the big news; the DC position is obviously going to be the second most important position on the staff when you consider that he probably wont have to answer to anyone when it comes to calling defense. Anyone remember him from his BC days? Slightly concerning to me that he has coached all over the place and never stuck anywhere...19 jobs in 37 years, seven of which he only lasted a year at and six more he lasted only two years at?

ELMASSIAN COACHING LEDGER

2009 - Illinois State, Defensive Coordinator
2008 Louisiana-Monroe, Co-Defensive Coordinator
2004-07 Nebraska, Cornerbacks Coach
2003 Purdue, Secondary Coach
2002 Marshall, Outside Linebacker Coach
2001 West Virginia, Defensive Coordinator
2000 Louisiana State, Defensive Coordinator
1997-99 Wisconsin, Secondary Coach
1995-96 Boston College, Defensive Coordinator
1993-94 Virginia Tech, Defensive Coordinator
1991-92 Syracuse, Secondary Coach
1987-90 Virginia, Secondary Coach
1985-86 Virginia Tech, Secondary Coach
1984 Minnesota, Secondary Coach
1983 East Carolina, Secondary Coach
1979-82 Ferrum College, Defensive Coordinator
1976-78 Richmond, Quarterbacks/Running backs Coach
1974-75 Williams & Mary, Quarterbacks/Running backs Coach

Also interesting that he was hired to be Nick Saban's DC in his first year at LSU, lasted one year and was hired to be Rich Rod's DC in his first year at WVU, where he lasted just one year again.

Don't know what to make of all this...at first glance the guy is uber-qualified to be our DC, but at the same time I dont know what to make of his crazy career.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange career.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy makes Don Brown look like Joe Paterno in terms of institutional loyalty.

It's also interesting how he tends to move between rivals: W&M to Richmond, VaTech to Virgina, Syracuse to BC, WVU to Marshall. Fortunately, we don't have any rivals.

I'm not going to say don't hire the guy, because I kind of feel like we need to get moving, and if he's ready to get to work, put him to work. But that's an odd career. I guess the upside is we don't have to worry about being stuck with him if we don't like his defensive scheme. We can call it the New England Weather defense. If you don't like it, wait 5 minutes.
Jack
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has had a long career and has moved around alot. Hopefully a reporter will interview him ask him about it. Tons of experience and plenty of success. Hopefully he is a good fit who can help build a Defense. I'm not expecting us to be the '85 bears in season 1 however.
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the coaching staff going to be announced? What's the holdup?
tdmass
Senior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Molnar said in an article he wouldn't announce the staff until they
were all cleared through human relations even though some are recruiting
right now for UMass. What is disturbing in today's Mass live is that the
new PSU coach O'Brien is targeting 2 of them for his staff. (Waldron & Sollazzo) . . . That sucks!!
MC85
Sophomore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that on coachingsearch too. WTF? I guess it's not an "unwritten rule" to keep your hands off someone who just started at a different school. Seems like a cheap shot to me, especially for a well established program to poach from a first year FBS program. Seems kind of odd too.
km109
Senior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will never happen, but Penn State deserves nothing less than the NCAA death penalty. Senior administrators indicted for covering up heinous criminal conduct by their Def Coordinator and giving him a golden parachute that allowed him to continue his conduct in the program's facilities. What could be more indicative of lack of institutional control? It makes the tats for memorabilia "scandal" at Ohio State laughable in comparison. Hopefully O'Brien and his staff are at least whacked with penalties that put the Nittany Lions at the bottom of the Big Ten for years to come.
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdmass wrote:
..Coach Molnar said in an article he wouldn't announce the staff until they were all cleared through human relations even though some are recruiting right now for UMass..

I read that as well. But how long does that take? Every other FBS HC hire has assistants named almost immediatley.

At the very least it would be news for a day, of which we've had very little since the holidays.
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this on CoachingSearch.com;

"Penn State: Defensive line coach Larry Johnson will remain a part of staff under new head coach Bill O'Brien, who made the annoucement during his press conference this morning"

I am going to assume that means we are ok with Sallazzo.

I think Waldron could be gone due to the past Patriots/O'Brien relationship maybe?

That's just a guess..
Wardy
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km109 wrote:
It will never happen, but Penn State deserves nothing less than the NCAA death penalty. Senior administrators indicted for covering up heinous criminal conduct by their Def Coordinator and giving him a golden parachute that allowed him to continue his conduct in the program's facilities. What could be more indicative of lack of institutional control? It makes the tats for memorabilia "scandal" at Ohio State laughable in comparison. Hopefully O'Brien and his staff are at least whacked with penalties that put the Nittany Lions at the bottom of the Big Ten for years to come.

The Penn State scandal has nothing to do with the NCAA or NCAA rules which basically boil down to the rules of competition, eligibility, and recruiting between varsity athletic programs. The Penn State scandal involves state and possibly federal crimes and thus is being handled in the justice system.

That said Penn State's athletic program will be set-back by the scandal and its fall-out for at least a decade maybe more. The trial and subsequent civil trials will elongate the scandal and keep it in the public eye for years. This is coupled with the Big Ten situation of Urban Myer now at Ohio State and the resurrection of Michigan. Penn State's athletic program overall is taking an enormous hit and it probably will be forced to cut some non-revenue varsity sports because football won't be generating the income it previously had.

Bill O'Brien is going into a buzz-saw that I believe nobody will be able to be successful in.

1- He has to be the guy to follow Paterno.
2- He has to be the guy to guide and resurrect the program from the scandal.
3- He's the new AD Joyner's guy (Joyner is expremely hated by Penn State's alumni).
4- The alumni wanted interim coach Bradley to get the job.
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the NCAA can find a way to kick PSU in the nuts..then I hope they do.

At the end of the day, and from a NCAA perview there was a lack of institutional control, which allowed the criminal element to reign, all in the name of protecting the football program and the school.
ShadesOf96and98
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km109 wrote:
Hopefully O'Brien and his staff are at least whacked with penalties that put the Nittany Lions at the bottom of the Big Ten for years to come.

Why would you wish that on O'Brien and his staff specifically? He had absolutely nothing to do with what happened.

For that matter, neither did any of the student athletes and administrators who will run the school "for years to come" now that the guilty parties have been ushered out.

BUMPA wrote:
I read that as well. But how long does that take? Every other FBS HC hire has assistants named almost immediatley.

Completely untrue. Many coaches were busy preparing for bowl games up until very recently and the coaches' convention isn't until this weekend. You dont just go out there and create a football coaching staff in a weekend. Go out and look at the other coaches who took new jobs and find me the ones who have filled out their staffs already.
Jack
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSU should be penalized by the NCAA for this disaster. Your DC is raping children in the football complex. They should lose 15 scholarships and no bowl games for 5 seasons. The absurd notion that because these are criminal issue the NCAA is powerless to take action is absolutely idiotic. They covered this up so JoPa could get his record - the NCAA should take immediate punitive action on this program.

UMass lost a final 4 appearance because the center took a gold chain as a gift from a scumbag agent.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Brien is crazy to take the job (for all the reasons Wardy listed) but he sure as hell better hire the best assistants if he wants any chance of success. I can't fault him for poaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Football Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: