UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Recruiting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
69MG
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ You go where the athletes are. You can't teach speed and we have had pretty good luck with FL skill players in the past.
cox'n
Senior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can teach speed. Sure you need some natural ability, but proper training can dramatically increase speed. Victor Cruz seems to be a great example of that.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida recruiting has its place, but the best Minutemen who've gone on to play in the NFL have come from New England, New York or New Jersey. AFAIK, the only Florida recruit we've ever had make it to the NFL is Jeremy Cain, and he's a long snapper. Not exactly a speed position. The only other southern recruit I can think of who went to the NFL is Brandon London from Richmond, which is just barely the south. Tyler Holmes (also from Virginia) might be the third. Cruz, Ihedigbo, Vlad, Jeromy Miles, Jeremy Horne, Matt Lawrence, and John Griffin are from the Northeast, as were past greats Greg Landry, Milt Morin and Marcel Shipp. As are our other best NFL prospects this year, Igwenagu and Talley.

Missing from our list of NFL players are any CBs. That's where we may need help from outside the Northeast. Kids up here with CB speed concentrate on offensive positions, and we've got enough high schools per capita that they can all start rather than get switched to CB. Whenever analysts point out the speed advantage of a southern team over a northern team, the example is usually a southern offense beating a northern defense at the corners.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richmond surely isn't Birmingham, AL, but I wouldn't call it "just barely the south".

If we can open up recruiting streams in FL, why wouldn't we?? I want UMASS to be able to recruit nationwide, and I believe that should be the goal.
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach has done exactly what he said - he has been recruiting the hell out of New England and the Northeast and he is dipping into Florida. We have two reported staffers right now from Florida, therefore: 1) they already have connections, and 2) they likely haven't formed those connections up here yet. Why not let them do what they can right now?

I will never have a problem recruiting Florida, so long as that's not the end game - and that's not what it is right now. UMass has a lot of needs and scholarships to fill during these next few years, and until we're at a point were we pick and choose the best football players within 300 miles, it never hurts to have the Florida option.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooks, keep the recruiting info coming. You have become my source for UMass football recruiting with your plethora of knowledge Laughing
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just pumped about all of this.

More recruiting information coming out today:

Big County Preps, a website that covers high school football in the Tampa Bay area is reporting that UMass has offered Haiden Nagel, a Linebacker from Sickles High School in (gasp) Tampa.

http://bigcountypreps.com/180/umass-offer-for-6-2225-sickles-lb/#.T0bWL3LC5e5

In case you were curious about the validity of this site, turns out that Allen Suber follows these guys on Twitter.
69MG
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackman wrote:
Florida recruiting has its place, but the best Minutemen who've gone on to play in the NFL have come from New England, New York or New Jersey. AFAIK, the only Florida recruit we've ever had make it to the NFL is Jeremy Cain, and he's a long snapper. Not exactly a speed position. The only other southern recruit I can think of who went to the NFL is Brandon London from Richmond, which is just barely the south. Tyler Holmes (also from Virginia) might be the third. Cruz, Ihedigbo, Vlad, Jeromy Miles, Jeremy Horne, Matt Lawrence, and John Griffin are from the Northeast, as were past greats Greg Landry, Milt Morin and Marcel Shipp. As are our other best NFL prospects this year, Igwenagu and Talley.

Missing from our list of NFL players are any CBs. That's where we may need help from outside the Northeast. Kids up here with CB speed concentrate on offensive positions, and we've got enough high schools per capita that they can all start rather than get switched to CB. Whenever analysts point out the speed advantage of a southern team over a northern team, the example is usually a southern offense beating a northern defense at the corners.

Two of the best receivers in UMass history were from Florida, Adrian Zullo and Rasheed Rancher. Although neither made the NFL, they are up at the top in career receptions/yards. I like the fact that he is exploring anywhere he can find talent. He'll get his share from the northeast, but he can't rely only on this area.
DrG
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any FBS program would be crazy not to recruit in FL. There is unbelievable talent there even after Florida, Miami, FSU and the SEC are done.
lane one
Senior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just barely in the South? Richmond was the capital of the south.
UMass'96
Junior

Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Richmond surely isn't Birmingham, AL, but I wouldn't call it "just barely the south".

Actually, parts of it are considered the South since the Mason Dixon line goes through it. When i lived in N. Carolina most people there consider the border of N. Carolina and Virginia to be the demarcation point. So anything south of that border was the south and vice versa for the North. But really, who cares? It gets cold in both places.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any place that considers the Civil War to be "The War of Northern Aggression" is not "just barely the south", in my book. Very Happy
UMass'96
Junior

Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
^

IV, you ever lived anywhere other than Massachusetts? And when I say "live" I mean for at least a year.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, MA all the way. I've been to Richmond many times, though, and I have many close friends who live permanently down there.
gosox22
Senior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, 0ne of the best running backs in UMass history was from Florida, Steve Baylark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Football Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 4 of 57

Jump to: