UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old UMass Games - Lets collect, digitize & archive
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Hoop Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UMassHockeyTalk.com
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Old UMass Games - Lets collect, digitize & archive Reply with quote

I was at UMass for the '92-'96 seasons.. I was there for the Final Rage in the Cage... at the Bill We sat in section Lo"U", Roe 15 for every home game. We held giant "3"s over our heads after every three point bucket... we watched Mike Williams drain buzzer beating 3s.. we ate the DP Dough "Cal-Zone"...we were there for everything..and we refused to loose!

Here is a photo from the only 3 point shot of the Final Rage in the Cage. I think i'm the last 3 on the right...then again we all had the same shirts on...

Oh to go back and relive those days...with that said, i present:

Project Worcester Breakfast Sandwich
Purpose: Collect, digitize and archive UMass games of days gone by

1. Generate list of what games are available
    2. Collect media formats
    3. Digitize games
    4. "Share" footage

For now we can concentrate on '90 through '99 as these are probably the most sought after games to be watched again. I have all the equipment (sans a VCR, but i'll find one somewhere) to digitize the games and archive them on DVD, Blu-Ray or hard drive formats. And will volunteer my time. I have some unmarked tapes, so I may have other games!

List of Games Ready for Archiving [Click to view and edit]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnMNBTpQM8JqdEN4Szg4Z2VPb1FRbTZfbTVYU296Z3c

Explanation of Fields
[Season] - xx-xx
[Name] - Name of the game/tournament
[Opponent] - Self explanatory
[Opponent Rank] - Self explanatory
[Arena] - Self Explanatory
[Date] - Date of game
[Win/Loss] - W or L
[CopyOwner] - Username of the owner of the original tape/dvd
[Format] - DVR, VHS, DVD, MPEG, MP4, etc
[Status] - Available, Shipped, Ready, Completed, Returned
[Archived] - Y or N - Availability of the digital archive

Status Codes Definitions
Available - Source has been offered by owner for archiving
Shipped - Owner has shipped original
Ready - Original is ready for archiving
Completed - Archive is complete
Returned - Original has been returned

I've got my eyes on a professional VCR on eBay that has TBC which will help make the video look as best it can.

-t[/b]

Last edited by UMassHockeyTalk.com on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
Rory
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea.

I have the technical equipment to convert TV/VCR video to a digital format, if needed.

I do have one game on VHS from the 90s. I think it's a Temple game. I was like 10 when I recorded it. Yes, my UMass love goes way back (and I'm from eastern Mass). I'll have to check and see what game it is exactly. Also, not from the 90s, but I believe I still have the UMass - Uconn game from the Lappas era on VHS. That was one of the biggest wins of my time in Amherst.

UMass Upsets Huskies - Uconn - Mullins Center - 12/9/04 - W - VHS - Rory
LS71
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there arre only two chances that films/tapes of games from the Erving/Skinner/Leaman era exist...slim and none and slim just left town...or as some might say, no way and no f*cking way, but how cool would it be to be able to add games from that era to the digital stockpile!
MikeUMA
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old UMass Games - Lets collect, digitize & archive Reply with quote

UMassHockeyTalk.com wrote:
We'll figure out logistics later.

This is a good idea, and one that we've floated before, but logistics are important.

Are you proposing "offline" "trading" of DVDs, or uploading the games onto some internet video provider? If the latter, and you put them onto YouTube (for example), they could easily delete the video on copyright grounds.

Just something to consider, I don't mean to criticize the whole idea.
UMassHockeyTalk.com
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Old UMass Games - Lets collect, digitize & archive Reply with quote

^
Yah its a sticky area... i'm not going to put my server in jeopardy of being shut down for distribution (i've got a 1TB server, so plenty of space, but i can't risk it).. it may have to be an offline solution... and probably the safest..
xlgman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you set up a Google Docs spreadsheet we can all edit to make a complete catalog.

I know I have a lot of the games from the 94-95 and 95-96 seasons. I alos heard from a birdy that a friend of the family has a huge stockpile as well.

How about ripping video off of a DVR? I haven't figured out how to do that easily.
UMassHockeyTalk.com
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok consider it done, here is the google docs, open to editing:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnMNBTpQM8JqdEN4Szg4Z2VPb1FRbTZfbTVYU296Z3c

And i've updated the instructions at the top...

As for ripping off a DVR, it depends on what kind of DVR you have. If you have a Tivo (which i've been using since '99), the program can be xferred to your computer provided the CCI flag isn't set to prevent copying. The flag is set in the digital broadcast by the channel operators. Most sporting events do not have this flag set. In this fashion if you recorded it in HD you would be saving it in HD. I will record and save Tuesdays game via my Tivo.

If you have a DVR provided by your cable company (including comcast boxes w/tivo software) then you would need to hook up your DVR to a VCR, DVD Recorder, or a image capture box or camera system that would feed the video into a computer via firewire. So yes it can be done, but time consuming. Also with out the proper hardware, HD video with this method may not transfer. Depending on your equipment you may just get SD 4:3 video.
Dickie Dunn
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this topic comes up on occasion. This idea actually is what brought me to UMassHoops.com back around 1999-2000, and led me to building lasting friendships with many of the posters here.

My current list of games is extensive, dating all the way back to the triple-OT loss to Temple at the Cage in 1990. I've been meaning to start putting them onto DVD myself, because I've noticed the quality of VHS starting to degrade, even among some of the tapes I've acquired in the past decade or so (just noticed this on my tape of the UNC win in the 1993 NIT when I was checking it out last week).

My goal was to acquire as many of the games from the 1995-96 season as possible, as well as others from the same era, and fill in the gaps everywhere else. I have every NCAA game (except 1962, of course) in some shape, and oddly enough I expect to be getting clean copies of the wins against Syracuse (1992), Tulsa ('95) and Central Florida ('96) in the coming days.

When I get a chance, I will add a bunch of the games I have to the list. I'm sure others will have some of the same games, so I want to avoid duplication.

If someone is interested in doing the legwork, I am willing to share any of the tapes I have for DVDs in return.
UMassHockeyTalk.com
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic may have come up now and then but i'm trying to take it to the next step. We first need to inventory whats out there (duplicates are OK because as you said we don't know what condition these tapes are in after nearly 20 years).

I'll put in time to digitize these goodies, no problem there. I've got other VHS things i need to archive, and in the past year i completed the archival of over 100 Hi-8 and Mini DV tapes that I had... so i'm well versed and a stickler for quality.

Lets get the inventory going and then we can figure out how we can get this all put together..
tom mclaughlin
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Missouri Reply with quote

Since Coach Leaman has passed I think it's important to keep his memory alive. The best way I know to do that is, I have three reels of 8mm film of the March 17, 1973 Missouri game as well as a smaller reel
of the next game vs North Carolina. If anyone knows how to transfer and preserve this just let me know.
It's great to see UMass doing so well in this years NIT. The games @ Seton Hall and then @ Drexel were wars. This year the NIT, next year the NCAA's. What Chaz Williiams has done reminds me of what Scoonie Penn did for Ohio State and Jim O'Brien. He took them to another level and was the start of something special. The whole team should be proud, they are playing like a team. Great job!
UMassHockeyTalk.com
Sophomore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Missouri Reply with quote

tom mclaughlin wrote:
Since Coach Leaman has passed I think it's important to keep his memory alive. The best way I know to do that is, I have three reels of 8mm film of the March 17, 1973 Missouri game as well as a smaller reel
of the next game vs North Carolina. If anyone knows how to transfer and preserve this just let me know.

There are cheap ways, and inexpensive ways to transfer that... add it to the list!
Dickie Dunn
Senior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMassHockeyTalk.com wrote:
The topic may have come up now and then but i'm trying to take it to the next step. We first need to inventory whats out there (duplicates are OK because as you said we don't know what condition these tapes are in after nearly 20 years).

I'll put in time to digitize these goodies, no problem there. I've got other VHS things i need to archive, and in the past year i completed the archival of over 100 Hi-8 and Mini DV tapes that I had... so i'm well versed and a stickler for quality.

Lets get the inventory going and then we can figure out how we can get this all put together..

Sounds good. I started putting some of it onto DVD in recent years, but right now I don't have my stuff particularly well-organized. Give me a chance to go through and see what I have and in what format, and I will add them to the list.
Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to purchase any dvd's from games in the 90's if/when they ever become available
DeefNasty
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when the 100 seasons documentary was being put together there was a lot of VHS tapes floating around the media relations office. They might be someone to ask if he has anything lying around.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got about 12 games or so on VHS from the 90's including
-- Arkansas, tip Off classic 11/94
-- Temple, A-10 championship 3/95
-- Oaklahoma St. East regional final 1995
-- Louisville 2/95
-- Stanford NCAA 2nd round 3/95
-- Virginia Tech 2/96
-- Temple A-10 championship 3/96
-- Kansas 11/94
-- St. Peters NCAA 1st round 3/95
-- Maryland 12/94
-- Georgetown NCAA tourney 96
-- Stanford NCAA 2nd round 3/96

Would love to get these on DVD without commercials to watch again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Hoop Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: