UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kellogg / Skinner
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Hoop Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should UMass replace Derek Kellogg with Al Skinner?
Yes, sever ties with Kellogg and hire Skinner.
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
No, do not cut ties with Kellogg at this time.
78%
 78%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 94

MikeUMA
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Kellogg / Skinner Reply with quote

I'm going to indulge what I think is a fairly ridiculous theory, in an attempt to gauge the opinion of the larger audience on the board.

It was suggested by a couple of people in the coaching changes thread that we should dump Derek Kellogg and hire the suddenly-available Al Skinner.

What does everyone else think?
Blindspots
Sophomore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too soon, sadly, because I think Al has a better probability of success, but we can't cut DK this early into his tenure. Our AD isn't Travi$$$
OutlawPete
Senior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because BC has been so good? Confused
Blindspots
Sophomore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OutlawPete wrote:
because BC has been so good? Confused

Tourney 7 of last 10 years. All with own recruits. That's good.
sasso72
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we necessarily have to sever ties with DK. He could stay on as an Assistant and hit the recruiting trails where he seems best suited.
And Cal would jump to have DK back as an assistant. Not a bad gig at Ky.

Last edited by sasso72 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blindspots
Sophomore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasso72 wrote:
I don't think we necessarily have to sever ties with DK. Hee could stay on as an Assistant and hit the recruiting trails where he seems best suited.

A demotion? What a slap in the face. Anything other than keeping him as HC would be an insult to DK.
sasso72
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
I don't know. He might enjoy working with Al.
Blindspots
Sophomore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
He came here to be a head coach. He recruited hard and is in the process of making this program great again. And then demoted after 2 years? No way he takes that.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got DK's back. You don't pull this crap on a UMie. Not after the bitterness following Travis Ford and wanting someone who'd be committed to the university.
throwdown
Senior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. To let DK go at this time would kill this program for another 10 years. I beleive he wants to be here for a long time. Many others would simply use UMass as a stepping stone. I don't always like his coaching, but recruiting and players grades have gotten much better since his arrival. That's a good start toward building a consistently good program.
sasso72
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blindspots wrote:
sasso72 wrote:
I don't know. He might enjoy working with Al.

He came here to be a head coach. He recruited hard and is in the process of making this program great again. And then demoted after 2 years? No way he takes that.

In the end it's not what he wants but what the administration feels it must do to get this program moving in the right direction. If he loves UMass so much he might consider being part of it's resurrection.
Blindspots
Sophomore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play the Devil's Advocate, does anyone think that in an alternate reality DK would be more successful over the next 10 years than Al?
sasso72
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Absolutely not. But it sounds like we are willing to put our baskeball program at risk in order to find out if DK can coach.
BTHoops
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things, Derek is going nowhere and I believe he has a 6 year contract, so he has 4 more years.

Secondly Derek or any coach in this situation would NEVER stay on staff as an Assistant. NEVER! If UMass did that and I was the head coach I would say F-U UMass, pay me my four remaining years.

Additionally, even contemplating this decision will hurt UMass in future hiring decisions within the department for years to come in basketball and ALL sports. What coach will want to come to UMass where a coach is fired not for performance, not for off court issues, not for any issue at all, but simply because the department thought maybe, maybe, someone who MIGHT be better is available? What future coach will want a job where they fired a young, well thought of coach, who is an alum of the school and played 4 years there and was fired for NO REASON? If I am a future coach interviewing for UMass I would be thinking in the back of my head, if they did that to Derek Kellogg what the F--- will they do to me! It would HURT the department in ALL future coaching hiring decisions.

Third, and I cannot even believe I am going to even get into this side of it, but Al made over $1 mill per at BC. DK currently is in the lower half of A10 head coaches in terms of salary. A couple threads ago and in some of the media, he got sh!t for that because he is the 7th highest paid state employee. You think Umass will be prepared to give the Travis Ford extension money or god forbid a million dollar contract now? No shot!

I like Skinner. He is a good coach and he got screwed at BC, but that has nothing to do with UMass. I always say if you are going to fire your coach, you better find someone better. I am more curious to see who BC thinks they can find who is better than Skinner. Skinner set the bar pretty high at BC.

Derek Kellogg is our future and I have 100% confidence in Derek Kellogg. He is a young coach, who has improved his game coaching over the past two years and will continue to do so as he gets more head coaching experience. Additionally, Derek's first class (this year's first year players) are VERY SOLID building blocks and the best incoming crop we have had in some time. I am excited to see where this team will be in 2 or 3 years under DK's leadership. He is a guy who if he has some success may actually have a desire in staying here due to his ties to the area and to the school. Who wants to give that up now?

This thread upset me so much I cannot believe I am posting in it and giving it some play. Ridiculous!
ShadesOf96and98
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Skinner because I think he'd bring the same type of success to UMass that he brought to BC and Rhody and I think he's a better coach than DK at this point.

I also think it would be completely uncool to pull the rug out from under DK at this point and I have faith in him and support him as our coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Men's Hoop Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: