UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staying FCS and expanding the A-10?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Other UMass Sports Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kosty
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Staying FCS and expanding the A-10? Reply with quote

Well in reading this, it appears that McCutch doesn't want us to move up AND the A-10 commish actually mentions EXPANDING the A-10!!! UGH!!! That's just what we need.....another two mediocre teams.

http://ht.ly/1L9wU
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A10 does not and will never have a clue. The only thing that makes the A10 acceptable is its handful of individual members who know how to run a competent men's basketball program. Should that handful leave, the A10 will be completely worthless. It isn't cheap to travel in, it doesn't have good contracts, it isn't prestigious academically, it is very poorly managed, and it only has 1 or 2 other members similar to UMass in terms of institutional profile. No reason to be there vs. anywhere else without Xavier and Temple in its ranks.

I fully believe that UMass is doomed to America East-like standing in everything except hockey if it doesn't upgrade football, but I don't blame McCutcheon one bit for his position in that article. That is the correct answer for someone who knows he's going to be hung out to dry if he allows that topic to bubble up. I think the problem is we go about things backwards up here. Hand McCutcheon a shovel and ask him when he's going to build us a facility for FBS, and he's going to drop it like it bit him. For this to get done, we need a mob to show up with the shovels and ask where we can start digging. That's how it gets done elsewhere. Someone has to have the AD's back and give him a reasonable chance of success before he'll stick his neck out. Otherwise, he's here to do a good job within the constraints dictated to him by the state and the university and then he'll move on to a better job like the one at San Diego State he interviewed for. I'd do the same if my job title was "AD" instead of "UMass fan." Asking one man to build this out of nothing would require the Athletic Director equivalent of John Calipari.
tdmass
Senior

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, thats the truth! Well said Jackman as usual.
Jack
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like John alot, but take issue w/his statement that the A10 is a "great conference for us". Its a conference and we are a member but its not great for the University imho. I would expect leadership to be committed to moving aggressively to improve the University in all facets especially in terms of conference affilliations.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the New York Post
Quote:
The Post has learned that administrators at the non-football playing Big East schools have had contingency discussions that include possibly adding Dayton, Duquesne, St. Joseph’s and Xavier if their football-playing brethren veer off like unsecured electrons.

If that happened, St. Louis would surely move somewhere else too with the western-most team left being St. Bonaventure.

I'm somewhat intrigued by that possibility, since I didn't think they'd be interested in the Joes or Dukes. That opens up some room to re-invent the Atlantic 10 if 5 no-football/Catholic members leave. Might even be a good thing.
Crank
Senior

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how that might become a good thing, Jackman. the more I read about the possibilities, the more discouraged I get. There are so few institutions in a comparable situation to UMass that I just can't get a grip on what would be a best case scenario.

Most frightening is the fact that the most similarly situated schools are all America East types which couldn't be more depressing. From where I sit, the best cases look to be a very watered down A10 or maybe a move to the CAA for all sports-both far from ideal scenarios and both a significant step down from where we are now.
shovelhd
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without Dayton, St. Louis, and Xavier, the A-10 will become the next America East.
Crank
Senior

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Exactly.

Not to mention if that were to occur, Temple would be gone in a heartbeat as well.
Jack
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to upgrade the football program.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Jack, that would require raising parking fees to $5.

Being serious, my comment on that rumor being a "good thing" was with respect to Duquesne and St. Joes also leaving, as opposed to just Xavier and Dayton leaving. Xavier leaving is bad news regardless, but if they're going anyway, I say drop those 4, let St. Louis go, push out Bonaventure and La Salle, fire everyone in the A10 administration, and go raiding. I'd rather cherry-pick the CAA and others than have to join the CAA, half of which is useless members just like the A10. Old Dominion is the obvious #1 draft choice. They've got hoops and football ambitions. Delaware gets us an A10 football league. They're useless on the hard court, but we always have useless members in the A10 who never contribute in any other sport either, so they're 1 up in that regard. 2 up since they get us closer to an A10 lacrosse league. If Temple doesn't get that BCS call-up, and we gather enough ambitious FCS football programs together in the A10 (we also have Charlotte), maybe, just maybe Temple hangs around to see if anything develops on a conference move-up after all the non-football members are gone.

That's my best lemonade out of lemons scenario. It's not so much 2 steps back, 3 steps forward as 10 steps back, 20 steps forward. Not a very likely scenario either, I'll admit, but what else are we going to do? Butler isn't coming to the A10 if the midwest teams leave. Leave it up to the A10 basketball-oriented teams, and we're going to be looking to add teams like Siena and Quinnipiac, maybe BU. And my thinking is, college basketball is about people, not programs. You parachute John Calipari into any university in the country, and he's going to be successful. Hockey is driven by culture, football is driven by resources, and basketball is driven by people. And the flip side of that is, you take the right people out of Siena and Quinnipiac and any of these other places that have thrown everything into basketball, and they're useless. They're one bad hire away from having nothing. I think a strong conference should be built around resources. That means acquiring state universities, specifically NOT located in New England or New York, because we know what happens there. A good basketball coach is at least if not more likely to apply for a job at an A10-Delaware as he is at Bonaventure or La Salle, but these small colleges will never have state university resources. Like they say, "you can't coach size." Let's get size. Screw whether our new members can dribble, they can learn that later.

This jives with the "upgrade football" position. I agree with upgrading football, but we have an insurmountable problem: we have no conference to play in. The Big East said no, and may not exist in a couple years. Independent status for FCS move-ups will soon be prohibited, if the most recent NCAA proposal is passed. That leaves the MAC. That doesn't seem to be acceptable to anyone. It kills basketball, unless Temple somehow ends up over there and the A10 is so badly raided that the MAC is no worse than the A10. The only alternative to that I can think of is A10 football. Assemble all the FCS football programs with ambition under the A10 banner and see if there's a spark to upgrade while the A10 name still has value. If there isn't, well, the MAC will still be there. As will America East, if we give up on life. I think it's better to take a low percentage shot than to hold the ball and wait for the clock to run out on us. This is a low percentage shot. Happy to make the extra pass for a high percentage shot if anyone sees one.
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an absolute slam dunk of a post Jackman, as usual. However, if there is one group I have less faith in than UMass Athletics, it's the Atlantic 10.
Crank
Senior

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept Jackman. If only the A10 had the foresight and guts to make a preemptive move in this direction instead of waiting until they are forced to act following a conference raid.

Focusing on primarily public schools, the CAA currently has a few options to potentially go after to add to the A10 publics. Something like this 12 school group might not be half bad (last years final basketball RPI's in parantheses):

UMass (181), URI (40), Temple 8, Charlotte (77), Delaware (239), Old Dominion (27), James Madison (241), VCU (66), George Mason 158, William & Mary 58. Add in privates George Washington (148), Richmond (25) and you have a pretty good group that geographically covers Mass, Rhode Island, D.C., Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina.

It could be much worse...
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem we have is that both conferences plus the Big East have a screwy mix of schools that prevent them from making moves. We are all constipated with basketball schools that contribute nothing else, and usually aren't particularly good at basketball either. We need a big flush like 5+ A10 members leaving voluntarily. I think the worst thing that can happen is we only lose Xavier and one other. Then we'll be down two of our best programs but we still won't have any room to move. And the CAA will still have Northeastern, Drexel, Hofstra, UNCW and other wastes of space clogging it up if we go over there. We need a do-over on conference formation in the northeast. Best case scenario is status quo, but if we can't have that, blow it all up and start over.
MullinsManiac
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMass and Drexel in the same conference? Hmmmmmmmmm ....
UMass87
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a reasonable scenario where UMass comes out better than they started and in most they come out significantly worse. The only unrealistic but remotely possible way for things to work out better for UMass involves a FBS upgrade and would probably require UMass to forgo playing on campus in favor of play at the Razor. If someone could get Kraft to benefit financially from it then there may some remote possibility it would happen. As it is, the idea that the Commonwealth would spend any significant money upgrading to FBS is pretty far-fetched.

Last edited by UMass87 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Other UMass Sports Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: