UMassHoops.com Forum Index UMassHoops.com
The Minutemen fan's home on the Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Recruiting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktabz16
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
"The War of Northern Aggression"

and yet it started with confederate forces bombarding ft. sumpter, a federal (union) facility.

i pointed this out to a particular blowhard i know who says this all the time and he told me it was northern aggression because the north invaded the south for the majority of the war. i told him not to blame us that their defense couldn't hold us back.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aggression they refer to isn't physical aggression, but instead the south feeling their individual states rights (and ability to continue slavery) being trampled on by the federal government and the north as a whole. It has nothing to do with the north physically fighting with the south.

But I digress and back on topic! Go Florida recruiting!!!!
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is more Florida recruiting:

According to the Tampa Bay Times, UMass has offered Darren Hambrick, a linebacker from the Tampa area.

He is receiving some interest from mid-major schools.

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/umass-darren-hambricks-latest-offer/12967/

Scout Profile: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=6126072

--

Didn't even have time to press "Submit" and then UMass makes an offer to Matt Breida a running back from Nature Coast (also famous for Tyler Bergantino if I'm not mistaken). This news comes via the Tampa Bay Times on Twitter. Here is some information on him:

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/highlights-matt-breida-jr-nature-coast-rb/11778/

According to his high school coach, Rob Kasmier, Toledo and Akron also offered him today. Things are heading up on Tampa.

Allen Suber was Tweeting Kazmir about Breida today.
Jackman
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I meant by that comment is if you drive 1 hour north of Richmond, you're no longer in "The South" according to southerners. They've disowned northern VA.

Nor was I saying that there are no good football players to be had from Florida and that it's not worth the trip. I'm just sick and tired of the implied condescension towards northeast football players. I hear it from the mouths of BC fans, and I don't want UMass to resemble them. We can get good players from Florida, but we're not going to get the best players from Florida. I think we can get some of the best in the northeast, and the best here can be the best at any level. And they and their families, and the friends of their families, are more likely to remain an active part of the UMass family after they're gone. We've got seats for all of them at Gillette. We need to paint this state maroon and white. If all else fails, put 'em in a maroon and white uniform.

Last point: Calipari's teams were all local. Different sport, but the best athletes we're going to get are right here, if we can prevent them from going elsewhere.
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big County Preps just Tweeted that we offered to running back Tremaine Batten. Not a lot out there right now, but it looks like Toledo just offered yesterday, and a few of the smaller Florida schools are interested. Here's the information regarding Toledo:

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/dunedins-tramaine-batten-gets-offer-toledo/12958/
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackman wrote:
All I meant by that comment is if you drive 1 hour north of Richmond, you're no longer in "The South" according to southerners. They've disowned northern VA.

Nor was I saying that there are no good football players to be had from Florida and that it's not worth the trip. I'm just sick and tired of the implied condescension towards northeast football players. I hear it from the mouths of BC fans, and I don't want UMass to resemble them. We can get good players from Florida, but we're not going to get the best players from Florida. I think we can get some of the best in the northeast, and the best here can be the best at any level. And they and their families, and the friends of their families, are more likely to remain an active part of the UMass family after they're gone. We've got seats for all of them at Gillette. We need to paint this state maroon and white. If all else fails, put 'em in a maroon and white uniform.

Last point: Calipari's teams were all local. Different sport, but the best athletes we're going to get are right here, if we can prevent them from going elsewhere.

All great points Jackman..landing a good year in and year out class of young Massachusetts men (weighted and included in the mix with all the others) will help carry a long way in building this program within the state..mixed in with some FLA speed of course. I assume and hope Charley is opening every door possible, and talking to every MA high school coach looking for, and attracting these kids.
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Bennet from the Citizen's Voice is Tweeting that UMass has made an offer to Shakir Soto, a defensive end from Pennsylvania.

Scout: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5626255

Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Shakir-Soto-132498
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Red Bank Catholic head coach Jim Portela, UMass and Temple have made offers to Defensive Tackle Josh Klecko.

Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Klecko-134135
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Country Preps is reporting that UMass has offered Defensive End Mike Love from Clearwater, Fl. Louisville, FIU, Iowa State, Ohio and UAB of schools that have offered Love.

http://bigcountypreps.com/180/fsu-offers-bailey-and-mike-love-pulls-umass/#.T0gY-nLC5e4

Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Mike-Love-127845

Scout: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5134767
Floyd
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever heard so much recruiting info streaming in like this for UMass. Getting excited for where this program could be headed
BUMPA
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crooks, by your count how many offers is that?

By my count we have 20+ scholarships to offer..and that's just eliminating JRs..nothing scientific of course..and that wouldn't include any defections from the program.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Janarion Grant a new name?

TBO HighSchoolSports:

"Add UMass to Pasco Janarion Grant's offers"

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/janarion-grant-takes-turn-pasco-spotlight/11901/
CrooksisRhyming
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my count we have 30 people that have either heard from us or that we've offered to ... the above recruit is 31, I hadn't seen anything about him yet.
UMass1991
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to be picky but it seems to me that alot of these LBs and DEs are small.. either for height or weight... just making an observation
DEM
Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripherally related to recruiting, but here's an article about Igwenagu trying out for the NFL. Here's a key quote as it relates to this thread:

Quote:
"When you look at the number of guys they've placed in the league, UMass is now a program that is sending players into the NFL regularly," the scout said. "And they're guys making an impact, guys starting and contributing. You have to look at these players now."

UMass' next NFL star?

One would think that between the NFL pipeline and recent FBS upgrade (to go along with one of the best game venues in the nation) that this program is a relatively easy sell for our new charismatic head coach. Considering how solid our 2012 class appears to be after just several weeks of recruiting, I'm looking forward to finding out what our coaches can do with an entire recruiting cycle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMassHoops.com Forum Index -> Football Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 5 of 57

Jump to: