Guard commits to UMass
By Matt Vautour, Daily Hampshire Gazette Staff Writer, 10/19/2005

AMHERST - With no scholarships available to offer current high school seniors, the University of Massachusetts men's basketball coaches are focusing their recruiting efforts on juniors and it already is paying off.

Marcus Matthews, a 6-foot-3 combination guard from Bishop Loughlin High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., gave the Minutemen a verbal commitment Monday.

Matthews took an unofficial visit to the school for Midnight Madness Friday and said he liked UMass immediately.

''There was a lot of things that made me pick UMass,'' Matthews said. ''They have a great campus. The coaching staff is really family-like. They really showed a lot of interest in me early.''

Matthews said he hadn't planned to commit so soon, but saw no reason to hold off.

''It felt like the right move. A lot of people commit early now,'' he said. ''I didn't feel like waiting. This way I can focus on my high school season and my schoolwork.''

Current Minutemen Gary Forbes and Chris Lowe both played AAU basketball for Kenny Pretlow, who previously coached Riverside Church and currently coaches Matthews on the Metrohawks. Their presence is appealing to Matthews.

''Chris Lowe and Gary Forbes are two big factors in me choosing that school,'' Matthews said. ''They made me feel comfortable when I was up there. I'm pretty close with those players.''

Matthews, who attends the same high school that produced long-time NBA guard Mark Jackson, said he fits the traditional mold of a New York City guard.

''I can play both guard positions. I have a pretty good jump shot and like most New York City guards I'm very good at attacking the basket,'' Matthews said. ''I'm a pretty good passer. I have a lot of different dimensions I can bring to UMass.''

Pretlow said Matthews would be a good fit at UMass.

''These guys made a commitment to him so early. (Assistant) coach (Steve) Middleton came down to one of our AAU games then coach (Travis) Ford came down. They liked what they saw and they offered him the scholarship,'' Pretlow said. ''He's a strong athletic guard. He can shoot the ball and goes to the basket real well. I think he'll get better in the next couple years and get stronger. I think it's a good situation for him.''

Matthews figures to have plenty of company in the class of 2007. The Minutemen will need to replace Rashaun Freeman, Maurice Maxwell, James Life, Brandon Thomas, Dante Milligan and Artie Bowers.

Matthews cannot sign a national letter of intent until November 2006. NCAA rules prohibit Ford from commenting on any recruit until a letter is signed.

NOTES - Walk-on forward Matt Pennie has been given No. 12.

The NCAA has changed the name of the Preseason NIT to the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Matt Vautour can be reached at [email protected]. For more UMass coverage including a frequently updated UMass sports blog, go to www.dailyhampshiregazette.com/umsports.


Back to the home page